Thursday 7 July 2011

Just by the way. . .

I'm sorry to say this, Dear Internet, but I cooked a very tasty meal of two new recipes for me (waaaaaayyyyy too late - i.e. I'm still eating it. . .) this evening, and while busy with the task I neglected to take any photos. But, in my defense, I've been awake since 6 AM, I have eaten very little today, and I went to spin class after work (for the first time in a while - I've been mostly swimming after work lately). So the hunger, it had to be obeyed.


I can say that they were both (surprise surprise) from Smitten Kitchen's archives. I'm pretty sure that I'm seriously addicted to that blog now. You might need to stage an intervention to save me from myself. (INTERVENTION!! INTERVENTION!!! Please tell me you get that joke, The Internet. . .) Check out the recipes - I definitely recommend you try them!


And I will be relishing the left-overs, that's for sure :)


I did make a few changes, of course, to suit my own peculiar tastes - I added jalapeƱo to both, as well as apple and lime (zest and juice -  the Flavour Gods, they demand it) to the slaw; I used honey and grainy mustard in the slaw dressing, and only used 1 cup of mayo; I used cumin and an Italian herb mix instead of just thyme, and added a few cloves of garlic for depth of flavour. Also, going to the 24-hour market made the choices of produce rather slim and I had to use baby spinach instead of escarole (soooo tasty!) and red kidney beans instead of white. 


I'm definitely looking forward to attempting these recipes again sometime, and playing some more with the flavours. Especially if I can go grocery shopping at an intelligent time and thus can go to a store that has more than four aisles.


Well, my barley risotto is finally an eatable temperature, so I'm going to finish my dinner and go to bed. 


I hope you had a lovely day, Dear Internet. Did you try anything new today?

No comments:

Post a Comment